Saturday, September 27, 2008

Burnt to a Crisp!

Have you ever blown up a microwave? I know my oldest blew hers up with a baby bottle, but I never thought it would happen to me. I think my microwave will survive but I don't trust it anymore. I put 2 pounds of frozen hamburger meat in my microwave to thaw to make a yummy meatloaf. Set it on 5 minutes and at 40% power. I have done this many times before with excellent results. Its just enough to thaw it all out and have just the tiniest bit left frozen in the center.

I was doing laundry/cleaning/fixing a new home for peeps that are coming next week, when a couple we know came to buy eggs. I went outside to talk to them with the 'wave still having 2 minutes to go. I had no reason to distrust it since it had always preformed beautifully. I think I was outside about 10 minutes. When I came back in there was smoke boiling out around the microwave door. It was at FULL power and had over 4 minutes showing on the timer! How in the world did that happen??

Needless to say, the alarm system screamed out to everyone that there was a fire in the Cuckle Burr Patch! Alarms were going off, the phone was ringing, the cats were running, and the dog was squeeking and barking! Can you say CHAOUS!!!

I had to confess to the alarm system lady that their was no fire, only a burning pile of bovine flesh mixed with melted white plastic bag. I wish that I had taken a picture to show all of you. I am certain that you would have thought it quite impressive. There were 2 little piles of something laying on the turntable and stinking to high heaven. I picked up the phone and ordered pizza. One way to get out of cooking. :-)

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Your poor microwave. I know from experience that a baby bottle will blow the door off. :))

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Where did you go?? :))

Christi said...

OMG...I didn't know you were a blogger!

Hi Cat Granny!

If it makes you feel any better my microwave hasn't worked in over a year. We had to re-learn how to use pots and pans just to heat up spagetti-O's. Sadness. But we got used to it. Well, I say 'we'. Kayla bought herself a microwave with her birthday money and put it in her room..haha.